Where They Played

By HOWARD BERGER

TORONTO (July 7) – In a spare moment late last week, I was diddling around on the Internet when I came upon some photos of old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. There was a sequence showing the progressive demolition of the ballpark and my mind reflected to visiting the site and gazing at a portion of the stadium still erect while in Detroit for the 2009 Stanley Cup final.

I began surfing the ‘net, looking at other old sports facilities, and decided to put together a photo-blog with several of them. Well, as often happens, several became several more and it ultimately evolved into an enormous project that encompassed virtually all of the former stadiums and arenas in North American professional football, hockey and baseball. To somewhat limit the project, I went back to only one generation of facilities. For example, you will see the heyday and demolition of Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh – former home of the Steelers and Pirates. I did not, however, include old Forbes Field, where the Pirates played before Three Rivers opened on July 16, 1970.

This is a sizable blog – one of the most extensive I’ve created since I began Berger Bytes on June 1, 2011. Do not fret if you haven’t time to look at all 165 images and read the captioned stories about them. The blog isn’t going anywhere. If you are interested in the history of sports facilities in North America, I trust you’ll enjoy this retrospective.

TigerStadiumPieceedited

THE DEMOLITION OF TIGER STADIUM IN DETROIT TOOK PLACE OVER THE SPAN OF NEARLY 15 MONTHS – FROM JUNE 30, 2008 TO SEP. 21, 2009. SEATS IN THE UPPER DECK (ABOVE) FEATURED THE TIGERS’ BLUE-AND-ORANGE COLOR SCHEME. THE OLD PARK AT MICHIGAN AND TRUMBULL (BELOW) OPENED APR. 20, 1912 AND THE TIGERS CALLED IT HOME TO THE END OF THE 1999 BASEBALL SEASON. DETROIT LIONS OF THE NFL ALSO PLAYED AT TIGER STADIUM FROM 1938 TO 1974.

TIGER

civic-2edited

THE IGLOO IN PITTSBURGH – KNOWN ORIGINALLY AS CIVIC ARENA BEFORE MELLON BANK PURCHASED NAMING RIGHTS – IS PHOTOGRAPHED HERE LATE IN ITS 59-YEAR EXISTENCE. IT WAS HOME TO THE PENGUINS FROM THEIR EXPANSION SEASON OF 1967-68 THROUGH THE PLAYOFFS IN 2010. THE BUILDING CLOSED ON JUNE 26 OF THAT YEAR – PENGUINS MOVING TO THE CONSOL ENERGY CENTER (WHITE ROOF, ABOVE).

civic-4edited

AN ARTIST’S CONCEPTION OF THE MELLON ARENA INTERIOR.

civic-3edited

THE IGLOO WAS DEMOLISHED BETWEEN SEP. 26, 2011 AND MAR. 31, 2012.

bostongardenedited

A GREEN-LINE SURFACE TRAIN LEAVES NORTH STATION IN BOSTON. THE COMMUTER HUB WAS LOCATED BENEATH BOSTON GARDEN, HOME OF THE BRUINS AND CELTICS UNTIL THE SPRING OF 1995. THE GARDEN WAS CAREFULLY IMPLODED IN MARCH 1998 – STANDING MERELY NINE INCHES FROM THE WALL OF THE CURRENT TD GARDEN.

bosgar-1edited

INSIDE BOSTON GARDEN DURING A CELTICS BASKETBALL GAME.

FENWAYedited

THE NFL’s NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS HAVE PLAYED IN FOXBORO, MASS. – SOUTH OF BOSTON – SINCE 1971. PRIOR TO THAT, FROM 1963 TO 1968, THE PATRIOTS OF THE AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYED AT FENWAY PARK (ABOVE), HOME OF THE RED SOX. THE CLUB CURRENTLY PLAYS AT GILLETTE STADIUM, WHICH WAS BEING BUILT (BELOW) IN 2000 KITTY-CORNER TO THEIR FORMER HOME IN FOXBORO (1971 TO 2001) – KNOWN FIRST AS SCHAEFER STADIUM, THEN SULLIVAN STADIUM.

FOXBedited

ChiStadedited

CHICAGO STADIUM WAS HOME TO THE BLACKHAWKS FROM THEIR THIRD NHL SEASON (1928-29) UNTIL A FIRST-ROUND PLAYOFF ELIMINATION BY TORONTO ON APR. 28, 1994. IT STOOD IN A NEGLECTED, FOREBODING PATCH OF CHICAGO’S SOUTH SIDE THAT WAS RE-DEVELOPED WHEN THE UNITED CENTER OPENED IN 1995.

chiStad-2edited

THE STATUE OF MICHAEL JORDAN OUTSIDE THE UNITED CENTER IN 1995, AS CHICAGO STADIUM WAS BEING PREPARED ACROSS THE STREET FOR DEMOLITION.

THE THIRD VERSION OF MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (ABOVE) ON 8th AVE. IN NEW YORK BETWEEN 49th AND 50th STREETS WAS HOME TO THE RANGERS FROM THEIR NHL ARRIVAL IN 1926-27 UNTIL A SUNDAY-NIGHT GAME AGAINST DETROIT ON FEB. 11, 1968. THE “NEW” GARDEN (BELOW), WITH ITS ICONIC ROUND DESIGN (LOCATED BETWEEN 7th AND 8th AVE./31st AND 33rd ST.), IS SHOWN WHILE UNDER CONSTRUCTION IN 1967. IT OPENED FOR A RANGERS-PHILADELPHIA FLYERS MATCH ON FEB. 18, 1968.

INTERIOR OF THE MONTREAL FORUM (ABOVE) AS IT APPEARED UNTIL THE END OF THE 1967-68 NHL SEASON. AFTER RENOVATION, THE FORUM RE-OPENED IN NOVEMBER 1968 (BELOW) AND WAS HOME TO THE CANADIENS THROUGH THE 1995-96 SEASON.

MontrealForum-2edited jarry-1edited

THE MONTREAL EXPOS CALLED JARRY PARK (ABOVE) HOME FROM THEIR 1969 INCEPTION UNTIL AFTER THE 1976 SUMMER OLYMPICS, WHEREUPON THE CLUB MOVED INTO THE NEW OLYMPIC STADIUM (BELOW). THE EXPOS RE-LOCATED TO WASHINGTON D.C. AFTER THE 2004 BASEBALL SEASON AND BECAME THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS.

jarry-2-olyedited AUTOSTADEedited

FROM 1968 TO 1976, THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE MONTREAL ALOUETTES PLAYED AT THE AUTOSTADE – A 33,000-SEAT STADIUM ON THE SITE OF EXPO ’67. THE FINAL GAME OF LEGENDARY QUARTERBACK RUSS JACKSON’S CAREER WAS AT THE AUTOSTADE IN THE 1969 GREY CUP. OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS DEFEATED SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS 29-11. THE STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1978.

CNEStadiumedited

A RARE MID-1960’s VIEW (ABOVE) FROM THE 12,000-SEAT SOUTH-STAND AT CNE STADIUM DURING A TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL GAME. AFTER THE 1974 CFL SEASON, THE BLEACHER-STAND WAS DEMOLISHED AND CONSTRUCTION BEGAN ON THE MASSIVE V-SHAPED STRUCTURE (BELOW) THAT FORMED THE FIRST AND THIRD-BASE SEATS FOR THE BLUE JAYS, WHO ARRIVED IN 1977. THE BALLPARK WAS RE-NAMED EXHIBITION STADIUM AND CAPACITY INCREASED FROM 33,135 TO 54,530. 

exhib-1

empirestadedited

ALSO FROM THE MID-60’s, A CORNER VIEW OF EMPIRE STADIUM IN VANCOUVER – HOME OF THE BRITISH COLUMBIA LIONS FROM THEIR 1954 INCEPTION TO THE END OF THE 1982 CFL SEASON. IT PLAYED HOST TO THE GREY CUP GAME IN 1958-60-63-66-70-74 AND WAS THE FIRST STADIUM IN CANADA TO INSTALL ARTIFICIAL TURF (FOR THE 1970 SEASON). EMPIRE STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1993.

pac-col-1edited

ADJACENT TO EMPIRE STADIUM ON THE GROUNDS OF THE PACIFIC NATIONAL EXHIBITION IS THE PACIFIC COLISEUM, HOME OF THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS FROM THEIR EXPANSION SEASON OF 1970-71 TO THE END OF 1993-94.

ivorwynne-4edited

A PHOTO I SNAPPED FROM MY SEATS AT IVOR WYNNE STADIUM IN HAMILTON PRIOR TO THE FINAL LABOR DAY GAME THERE BETWEEN THE TIGER-CATS AND TORONTO ARGONAUTS, SEP. 3, 2012. INITIALLY CALLED CIVIC STADIUM, IT WAS RENOVATED AND EXPANDED FOR THE 1971 CFL SEASON. IT PLAYED HOST TO THE GREY CUP GAME IN 1972; THEN DURING A SNOW-STORM IN 1996 BETWEEN TORONTO AND EDMONTON. NORTH-SIDE STAND PICTURED ABOVE WAS DEMOLISHED (BELOW) AFTER THE 2012 SEASON TO MAKE ROOM FOR TIM HORTON FIELD, WHICH OPENS LATER THIS SEASON.

photo by Terry Asma WpgSta-2edited

THE DOUBLE-TIERED STAND OF WINNIPEG STADIUM (ALSO KNOWN AS CANADA-INNS STADIUM) IS DEMOLISHED (ABOVE AND BELOW) AFTER THE 2012 CFL SEASON. WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS BEGAN PLAYING AT THE STADIUM, LOCATED ACROSS FROM OLD WINNIPEG ARENA, WHEN IT OPENED ON AUG. 14, 1953. IT HOSTED THE GREY CUP GAME IN 1991-98 AND 2006. THE BLUE BOMBERS NOW PLAY AT INVESTOR’S GROUP FIELD ON THE GROUNDS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA.

WpgSta-1edited WpgAr-5edited

THE AFOREMENTIONED WINNIPEG ARENA BEING PREPARED (ABOVE AND BELOW) FOR DEMOLITION IN EARLY-2006. THE ARENA, IN THE POLO PARK NEIGHBORHOOD OF WINNIPEG, OPENED OCT. 18, 1955. IT WAS HOME TO BOBBY HULL AND THE WINNIPEG JETS OF THE OLD WORLD HOCKEY ASSOCIATION FROM 1972-73 TO 1978-79 AND THE ORIGINAL JETS OF THE NHL FROM 1979-80 TO THE END OF THE 1995-96 SEASON, WHEREUPON THE FRANCHISE RE-LOCATED TO PHEONIX. WINNIPEG ARENA HOSTED GAME 3 OF THE LEGENDARY CANADA-RUSSIA SERIES ON SEP. 6, 1972.

WpgAr-4edited usair-1edited

WHEN THE PHOENIX (NOW ARIZONA) COYOTES DEBUTED FOR THE 1996-97 NHL SEASON, THEY PLAYED AT AMERICA WEST ARENA IN THE DOWNTOWN CORE (BOTTOM OF PHOTO). USAIRWAYS LATER BOUGHT THE NAMING RIGHTS. COYOTES MOVED WEST TO GLENDALE AND INTO JOBING.COM ARENA IN DECEMBER 2003. THE NBA PHOENIX SUNS STILL PLAY AT THE USAIRWAYS CENTER, WHICH OPENED ON JUNE 6, 1992.

ariz-2edited

THE ST. LOUIS FOOTBALL CARDINALS MOVED WEST TO PHOENIX IN 1988 AND PLAYED AT SUN DEVIL STADIUM IN NEARBY TEMPE UNTIL 2005. LOCATED ON THE CAMPUS OF ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, SUN DEVIL STADIUM OPENED OCT. 4, 1958 AND HOSTED THE ANNUAL FIESTA BOWL COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME ON NEW YEAR’S DAY FROM 1971 TO 2006. THE CARDINALS AND THE FIESTA BOWL ARE NOW HOUSED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX STADIUM IN GLENDALE, ADJACENT TO JOBING.COM ARENA.

corral-1edited-X

MY PHOTO OF THE CALGARY CORRAL – HOME OF THE FLAMES FOR THREE NHL SEASONS AFTER THEIR 1980-81 RE-LOCATION FROM ATLANTA. THE CORRAL, ON THE GROUNDS OF THE CALGARY STAMPEDE, OPENED DEC. 15, 1950 AND WAS ALSO HOME TO CALGARY COWBOYS OF THE WHA FROM 1975-77. ITS CAPACITY WAS 6,475.

corral-2edited

MY PHOTOS (ABOVE AND BELOW) FROM INSIDE THE CALGARY CORRAL.

corral-3edited Philadelphia-Complex-2edited

A POSTCARD FROM 1970 OF THE SPORTS COMPLEX IN SOUTH PHILADELPHIA. FROM TOP-TO-BOTTOM: VETERANS STADIUM (HOME OF THE PHILLIES AND EAGLES); THE SPECTRUM (FLYERS AND 76ers) AND JOHN F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WHERE THE ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL GAME WAS HELD FROM 1936 TO 1979. KNOWN PREVIOUSLY AS PHILADELPHIA MUNICIPAL STADIUM, IT WAS DEMOLISHED IN LATE-SEPTEMBER 1992.

14-Hockey-9edited

MY PHOTO FROM VIRTUALLY THE SAME POSITION ON FINAL APPROACH TO PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, OCT. 23, 2011. WELLS-FARGO CENTER – CURRENT HOME OF THE FLYERS AND 76ers – NOW STANDS ON THE FORMER SITE OF JOHN F. KENNEDY STADIUM. VETERANS STADIUM AND THE SPECTRUM ARE NO MORE.

Spectrum-6edited

THE SPECTRUM WAS HOME TO THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS FROM THEIR EXPANSION SEASON OF 1967-68 TO THE END OF 1995-96. THE NBA 76ers PLAYED THERE AS WELL. ONCE THE TEAMS MOVED ACROSS TO WHAT IS NOW THE WELLS-FARGO CENTER, THE SPECTRUM BECAME HOME OF THE AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE PHILADELPHIA PHANTOMS (1996-2009). THE BUILDING WAS CLOSED OCT. 31, 2009.

Spectrum-4edited

THE SPECTRUM WAS TAKEN DOWN (ABOVE AND BELOW) BETWEEN NOVEMBER 2010 AND MAY 2011. THE SITE NOW PROVIDES PARKING FOR THE SPORTS COMPLEX.

Spectrum-2edited

REMNANTS OF THE SPECTRUM WITH DOWNTOWN PHILADELPHIA IN THE DISTANCE.

spec-demo

THE THREE STAGES OF SPECTRUM DEMOLITION. THE AFOREMENTIONED PARKING LOT IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEQUENCE ON FORMER SITE OF THE ARENA.

vet-2edited

VETERANS STADIUM OPENED ON APR. 10, 1971 WHEN THE BASEBALL PHILLIES DEFEATED MONTREAL EXPOS 4-1. THE NFL EAGLES PLAYED THEIR FIRST GAME AT THE VET ON SEP. 26, 1971, GETTING CLOBBERED 42-7 BY THE DALLAS COWBOYS. WITH A SEATING CAPACITY OF 61,831 FOR BASEBALL AND 65,352 FOR FOOTBALL, IT WAS THE BIGGEST OF THE 1970’s COOKIE-CUTTER STADIUMS (WHICH ALSO INCLUDED FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM IN ATLANTA; RIVERFRONT STADIUM IN CINCINNATI; THREE RIVERS STADIUM IN PITTSBURGH AND BUSCH MEMORIAL STADIUM IN ST. LOUIS). IN 1993, VETERANS STADIUM HOSTED GAMES 1, 2 AND 5 OF THE WORLD SERIES BETWEEN THE PHILLIES AND TORONTO BLUE JAYS. THE 1976 AND 1996 BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAMES WERE ALSO PLAYED THERE AS WELL AS THE ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL GAME.

VetDemoedited

VETERANS STADIUM CLOSED ON SEP. 28, 2003 AFTER THE PHILLIES ENDED THEIR SEASON WITH A 5-2 LOSS TO ATLANTA BRAVES BEFORE 58,554 FANS. 2014 HALL-OF-FAME INDUCTEE GREG MADDUX PITCHED FOR ATLANTA. THE STADIUM WAS IMPLODED IN ALL OF 62 SECONDS ON MAR. 21, 2004. THE SITE IS NOW A GIANT PARKING LOT FOR CITIZEN’S BANK PARK – CURRENT HOME OF THE PHILLIES.

balt-5edited

LEGENDARY BALTIMORE COLTS QUARTERBACK JOHN UNITAS STANDS ON THE FIELD WHERE HE MADE HIS NAME – BALTIMORE MEMORIAL STADIUM – AS IT WAS PREPARED FOR DEMOLITION IN LATE-2001. THE STADIUM WAS HOME TO THE COLTS FROM 1953-83, WHEN THE FRANCHISE MOVED TO INDIANAPOLIS. UNITAS DIED AT 69 IN SEPTEMBER 2002. IT WAS ALSO HOME OF THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES FROM 1954-91. IN 1994 AND 1995, BALTIMORE STALLIONS OF THE CFL PLAYED AT MEMORIAL STADIUM.

BaltMemedited

FANS TAKE A NOSTALGIC FINAL WALK ON THE RUTTED FIELD OF BALTIMORE MEMORIAL STADIUM PRIOR TO ITS DEMOLITION ON FEB. 15, 2002.

war-2edited

WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM IN BUFFALO (KNOWN EUPHEMISTICALLY AS “THE ROCKPILE”) WAS HOME TO THE BILLS FROM 1960 TO 1972 AND THE PLACE WHERE O.J. SIMPSON BEGAN HIS HALL-OF-FAME RUSHING CAREER (IN 1969). LOCATED IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD OF DOWNTOWN BUFFALO, ITS CAPACITY WAS 46,500 – BELOW THE NFL MINIMUM OF 50,000. AFTER THE BILLS LEFT FOR THEIR NEW STADIUM IN SUBURBAN ORCHARD PARK, WAR MEMORIAL SAT EMPTY FOR SEVEN YEARS BEFORE THE TRIPLE-A BASEBALL BUFFALO BISONS TOOK RESIDENCE FROM 1979 TO 1988. ALL OF THE BASEBALL SCENES IN THE 1984 MOVIE “THE NATURAL” (STARRING ROBERT REDFORD) WERE FILMED AT THE BUFFALO WAR MEMORIAL.

AUD-1edited

THE BUFFALO MEMORIAL AUDITORIUM WAS HOME TO THE SABRES FROM THEIR 1970-71 INCEPTION TO THE END OF THE 1995-96 NHL SEASON. THE ARENA OPENED OCT. 14, 1940 AND HOSTED BUFFALO BISONS OF THE AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE UNTIL 1970.

BufAud-2edited

A LOOK INSIDE THE BUFFALO AUDITORIUM (ABOVE) AS IT WAS BEING PREPARED FOR DEMOLITION (BELOW) IN LATE-2008 AND EARLY-2009.

AUD-2edited meadow-3edited

THE IZOD CENTER IN EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. IS BEST REMEMBERED BY HOCKEY FANS AS CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA – HOME OF THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS FROM 1982 TO 2007. PART OF THE MEADOWLANDS SPORTS COMPLEX, IT OPENED ON JULY 2, 1981. THE DEVILS TWICE RAISED THE STANLEY CUP AT IZOD: IN 1995 AND 2003.

meadow-2edited

IZOD CENTER IS WHITE STRUCTURE AT THE TOP OF THIS MEADOWLANDS SPORTS COMPLEX PHOTO, WHICH FEATURES OLD GIANTS STADIUM (RED SEATS) IN ITS FINAL YEAR (2009), WITH MET LIFE STADIUM BEING BUILT ADJACENTLY. THE NFL GIANTS AND NEW YORK JETS SHARE MET LIFE, AS THEY DID THE FORMER FACILITY.

comiskey-4edited

FOR 80 YEARS – 1910 TO 1990 – THE WHITE SOX PLAYED AT COMISKEY PARK (ABOVE AND BELOW) ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO. ONLY ONCE DURING THAT TIME – IN 1917 – DID THEY WIN THE WORLD SERIES.  THE PARK OPENED ON JULY 1, 1910 AND CLOSED ON SEP. 30, 1990 WHEN THE SOX BEAT SEATTLE MARINERS TO FINISH THEIR HOME SCHEDULE. COMISKEY PARK HOSTED THE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAME IN 1933, 1950 AND 1983. DAVE STIEB OF THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS WAS STARING PITCHER FOR THE AMERICAN LEAGUE IN THE ’83 GAME.

COMISKEY-5edited Comiskeyedited

COMISKEY PARK WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1991.

YankeeStadDemoedited-X

THE ORIGINAL AND RE-MODELED YANKEE STADIUM IS PREPARED FOR THE WRECKING BALL AFTER THE 2008 MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON. IT OPENED ON APR. 18, 1923 AND WAS HOME TO SUCH YANKEE LEGENDS AS BABE RUTH, LOU GEHRIG, YOGI BERRA AND MICKEY MANTLE. THE STADIUM UNDERWENT A MASSIVE RENOVATION BETWEEN OCTOBER 1973 AND APRIL 1976. THE YANKEES PLAYED HOME GAMES AT SHEA STADIUM IN ’74 AND ’75. THE NEW BALLPARK OPENED APR. 15, 1976 IN TIME FOR THE YANKEES OF OF GEORGE STEINBRENNER, BILLY MARTIN AND REGGIE JACKSON TO WIN CONSECUTIVE WORLD SERIES TITLES IN 1977 AND 1978.

YankStadDemo-2edited

THE YANKEES BEGAN PLAYING IN THEIR NEW BALLPARK (TOP-RIGHT) ON APR. 16, 2009 AND GOT BELTED 10-2 BY THE CLEVELAND INDIANS. THE OLD PARK (LEFT) WAS TAKEN DOWN IN STAGES BETWEEN SEP. 22, 2008 AND MAY 13, 2010.

metstadedited

FOR 37 YEARS, PROFESSIONAL SPORT IN MINNESOTA WAS PLAYED IN THE SUBURB OF BLOOMINGTON – 10 MILES SOUTH OF MINNEAPOLIS. METROPOLITAN STADIUM OPENED ON APR. 24, 1956 AND WAS HOME OF THE BASEBALL TWINS UNTIL THE END OF THE 1981 MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON. THE NFL VIKINGS PLAYED AT MET STADIUM FROM 1961-81, OFTEN HOSTING PLAYOFF GAMES IN SUB-ZERO WEATHER. IN OCTOBER 1966, WITH NHL EXPANSION ONE YEAR AWAY, THE METROPOLITAN SPORTS CENTER (FOREGROUND BELOW) BEGAN TO RISE ADJACENT TO THE STADIUM. IT OPENED OCT. 21, 1967 WHEN THE MINNESOTA NORTH STARS DEFEATED THE CALIFORNIA SEALS 3-1. THE NORTH STARS MOVED TO DALLAS AFTER THE 1992-93 NHL SEASON AND THE MET CENTER WAS DEMOLISHED ON DEC. 13, 1994. IT HAD HOSTED THE 25th NHL ALL-STAR GAME BETWEEN THE EAST AND WEST DIVISIONS ON JAN. 25, 1972.

met-1edited

MET STADIUM AFTERMATH

FOR THREE YEARS AFTER HOSTING ITS FINAL EVENT, METROPOLITAN STADIUM WAS ABANDONED. IT SAT DECAYING UNTIL THE DEMOLITION BALL ARRIVED ON JAN. 28, 1985. THE SITE IS NOW OCCUPIED BY THE GIANT MALL OF AMERICA. THE NEXT THREE PHOTOS SHOW MET STADIUM AND SCOREBOARD DURING ITS ABANDONMENT:

metstadiumruin-4edited

MetStad-1edited metstadscoreedited kc-2edited

KANSAS CITY MUNICIPAL STADIUM WAS HOME TO THE BASEBALL ATHLETICS (OR A’s) FROM 1955 TO 1967, AT WHICH POINT THE CLUB MOVED WEST TO OAKLAND. AN EXPANSION TEAM IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE – THE KANSAS CITY ROYALS – PLAYED THERE FROM 1969 TO 1972. AND, THE NFL KANSAS CITY CHIEFS CALLED MUNICIPAL STADIUM HOME FROM 1963-71. THE LONGEST GAME IN NFL HISTORY (82 MINUTES AND 40 SECONDS) OCCURRED IN THE CHIEFS FINAL APPEARANCE AT THE STADIUM – A CHRISTMAS 1971 PLAYOFF MATCH-UP WITH MIAMI. KICKER GARO YEPREMIAN MADE A 37-YARD FIELD GOAL AT 7:40 OF THE SECOND OVERTIME PERIOD TO GIVE THE DOLPHINS A 27-24 VICTORY. MUNICIPAL STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1976. A PLAQUE (BELOW) DESIGNATES SITE OF THE FORMER BALLPARK.

kc-4edited county-1-xedited

MILWAUKEE COUNTY STADIUM WAS BASEBALL HOME OF THE BRAVES FROM 1953 TO 1965 BEFORE THE FRANCHISE MOVED TO ATLANTA. MILWAUKEE BREWERS ARRIVED IN 1970 AND PLAYED AT COUNTY STADIUM FOR 31 YEARS, CLOSING OUT ON SEP. 28, 2000 IN AN 8-1 LOSS TO CINCINNATI BEFORE 56,354 FANS. FROM 1953 TO 1994, THE NFL GREEN BAY PACKERS PLAYED TWO HOME GAMES PER SEASON AT THE STADIUM.

MILLERedited

PHOTO FROM THE UPPER DECK OF COUNTY STADIUM IN 1999 SHOWS MILLER PARK UNDER CONSTRUCTION BEYOND THE OUTFIELD BLEACHERS. THE MILWAUKEE BREWERS MOVED THERE FOR THE 2001 MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON.

SNOW-COVERED COUNTY STADIUM JUST PRIOR TO ITS FEB. 21, 2001 DEMOLITION.

orangebowledited

NO FOOTBALL STADIUM IN THE LATE-60’s AND THROUGHOUT THE 1970’s WAS ARGUABLY AS PROMINENT AS THE ORANGE BOWL IN MIAMI.  NOT ONLY WAS IT HOME TO THE NFL’s ONLY UNDEFEATED TEAM IN HISTORY – THE 1972 DOLPHINS WENT 17-0 AND WON SUPER BOWL VII OVER WASHINGTON – IT ALSO PLAYED HOST TO FIVE SUPER BOWL GAMES BETWEEN 1968 AND 1978 (INCLUDING THE FAMOUS JOE NAMATH/NEW YORK JETS UPSET OF BALTIMORE IN SUPER BOWL III ON JAN. 12, 1969 – THE FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP WIN BY AN AFL TEAM OVER THE NFL). THE DOLPHINS PLAYED AT THE ORANGE BOWL FROM THEIR 1966 INCEPTION TO THE END OF THE 1986 SEASON.

orangebowl-2edited

THE ORANGE BOWL OPENED ON DEC. 10, 1937 AND CLOSED ON JAN. 26, 2008. IT WAS TAKEN DOWN IN PIECES (ABOVE) AND DEMOLISHED ON MAY 14, 2008. THE BASEBALL HOME OF THE FLORIDA MARLINS (NAMED MARLINS PARK) WAS BUILT ON THE SITE OF THE ORANGE BOWL AND IT OPENED IN APRIL 2012.

marlins-2edited

THE DOLPHINS MOVED TO THEIR NEW HOME (NOW CALLED SUN LIFE STADIUM) FOR THE 1987 NFL SEASON. AND, THE MARLINS PLAYED THERE (BELOW) FROM 1993 TO 2011.

marlins-1edited miami-2edited

DOWNTOWN MIAMI WAS HOME TO THE NHL EXPANSION TEAM FROM SOUTH FLORIDA – THE PANTHERS – FROM 1993-94 TO THE END OF THE 1997-98 SEASON. MIAMI ARENA OPENED JULY 13, 1988 AND LASTED FOR ONLY 10 YEARS BEFORE ITS DEMOLITION FROM AUGUST TO OCTOBER OF 1998. COLORADO AVALANCHE DEFEATED THE PANTHERS IN DOUBLE-OVERTIME OF GAME 4 AT MIAMI ARENA (UWE KRUPP SCORED) TO WIN THE 1996 STANLEY CUP. BELOW, IS AN INTERIOR LOOK AT THE ARENA.

miami-3edited SPRINGCIVIC-3edited

THE HARTFORD WHALERS WERE ABSORBED INTO THE NHL FROM THE WHA IN 1979-80 ALONG WITH QUEBEC NORDIQUES, WINNIPEG JETS AND EDMONTON OILERS. THE ORIGINAL HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER OPENED JAN. 9, 1975 BUT IT COLLAPSED UNDER THE WEIGHT OF SNOW ON JAN. 18, 1978. WHILE IT WAS BEING REBUILT, THE WHALERS PLAYED THEIR FIRST 40 NHL GAMES IN THE SPRINGFIELD CIVIC CENTER (ABOVE AND BELOW). THE TEAM MOVED BACK TO HARTFORD ON JAN. 17, 1980. THE SPRINGFIELD CIVIC CENTER OPENED SEP. 5, 1972 AND IS NOW CALLED MASSMUTUAL CENTER.

SPRINGCIVIC-2edited HART-3edited

THE REFURBISHED HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER (ABOVE AND BELOW) OPENED JAN. 17, 1980 WHEN THE WHALERS HAMMERED PITTSBURGH 7-1. IT WAS HOME TO THE WHALERS UNTIL THE END OF THE 1996-97 SEASON. THE CIVIC CENTER HOSTED THE 1994 NHL DRAFT WHEN MATS SUNDIN WAS TRADED FROM QUEBEC NORDIQUES TO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS. THE ARENA IS NOW CALLED THE XL CENTER.

HART-1editedHART-2edited greens-1edited

THE WHALERS MOVED TO NORTH CAROLINA FOR THE 1997-98 SEASON AND PLAYED TWO YEARS IN THE MASSIVE GREENSBORO COLISEUM (ABOVE AND BELOW) BEFORE MOVING TO THEIR CURRENT ARENA IN RALEIGH. THE COLISEUM SEATED 21,000 FOR HOCKEY BUT RARELY ATTRACTED MORE THAN 6,000 FANS. THE ENTIRE UPPER DECK WAS DRAPED OFF FOR THE HURRICANES’ SECOND SEASON.

greens-3edited omni-5edited

WHEN THE ATLANTA FLAMES JOINED THE NHL FOR THE 1972-73 SEASON, THEY PLAYED AT THE OMNI (BROWN SQUARE STRUCTURE AT BOTTOM-RIGHT ABOVE). IT OPENED OCT. 14, 1972 – THE FLAMES TYING BUFFALO 1-1 – AND WAS HOME TO THE CLUB UNTIL THE END OF THE 1979-80 SEASON, AFTER WHICH THE TEAM MOVED TO CALGARY.

omni-6edited

INSIDE THE OMNI DURING A VOLLEYBALL GAME AT THE 1996 SUMMER OLYMPICS. THE ARENA WAS CLOSED MAY 11, 1997 AND DEMOLISHED ON JULY 26 OF THAT YEAR.

omni-4edited

THE DUAL IMAGE ABOVE SHOWS HOW PHILIPS ARENA (FORMER HOME OF THE ATLANTA THRASHERS) WAS BUILT ON THE SAME SITE AS THE OMNI.

philips-3edited

PHILIPS ARENA (ABOVE AND BELOW) OPENED ON SEP. 18, 1999 AND WAS HOME TO THE ATLANTA THRASHERS THROUGHOUT THEIR 12-SEASON EXISTENCE IN THE NHL (THE CLUB MOVED TO WINNIPEG FOR 2011-12). IT HOSTED THE 2008 NHL ALL-STAR GAME AND REMAINS HOME COURT OF THE NBA ATLANTA HAWKS.

philips-4edited philips-6edited

VIEW FROM THE HOCKEY PRESS BOX AT PHILIPS ARENA.

MLGedited

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS PLAYED AT MAPLE LEAF GARDENS FROM NOV. 12, 1931 TO FEB. 13, 1999. IT WAS CONVERTED INTO AN ATHLETIC FACILITY FOR RYERSON UNIVERSITY AND HOUSES A LOBLAW’S GROCERY STORE THAT MAY BE THE BEST IN CANADA.

MLG-1edited

MY PHOTOS OF MAPLE LEAF GARDENS ?? AS IT APPEARS TODAY.

MLG-4edited

gondolaedited

A RARE PHOTO OF THE FAMED GONDOLA AT MAPLE LEAF GARDENS.

MLG-Renoedited

MAPLE LEAF GARDENS IS PREPARED FOR RENOVATION IN 2011.

det-ol-6edited

OLYMPIA STADIUM IN DETROIT (ABOVE AND BELOW) WAS HOME TO THE RED WINGS FROM THE CLUB’S 1927-28 NHL DEBUT UNTIL DEC. 15, 1979 (A 4-4 TIE AGAINST THE QUEBEC NORDIQUES). THE WINGS MOVED INTO JOE LOUIS ARENA FOR A GAME AGAINST ST. LOUIS ON DEC. 27. THE OLYMPIA WAS CLOSED IN ’79 AND DEMOLISHED IN SEPTEMBER 1987. IT WAS LOCATED IN A CRIME-RIDDEN NEIGHBORHOOD OF DETROIT AT THE INTERSECTION OF GRAND RIVER AVE. AND McGRAW ST.

det-ol-2edited det-ol-7edited

THE INTERIOR OF DETROIT OLYMPIA PRIOR TO ITS DEMOLITION.

colisee-3edited

THE COLISEE IN QUEBEC CITY (ABOVE AND BELOW) BEFORE AND AFTER ITS 1980 RENOVATION TO ACCOMMODATE THE QUEBEC NORDIQUES’ MOVE FROM THE WHA TO THE NHL (IN THE 1979-80 SEASON). THE BUILDING OPENED ON DEC. 8, 1949 AND WAS HOME TO THE NORDIQUES FROM 1972 TO 1995, AFTER WHICH THE CLUB MOVED TO DENVER AND BECAME THE COLORADO AVALANCHE.

colisee-1edited Kemper-arena1edited

KEMPER MEMORIAL ARENA IN KANSAS CITY, MO. WAS HOME TO THE EXPANSION KANSAS CITY SCOUTS IN 1974-75 AND 1975-76. THE FRANCHISE MOVED TO DENVER AS THE COLORADO ROCKIES IN 1976-77; THEN TO EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. AS THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS IN 1982-83. KEMPER ARENA WAS ALSO HOME TO THE NBA KANSAS CITY (NOW SACRAMENTO) KINGS FROM 1974-85. IT OPENED SEP. 30, 1974.

rich-2edited

FOR THE 1976-77 NHL SEASON, THE CALIFORNIA SEALS MOVED EAST AND BECAME THE CLEVELAND BARONS, PLAYING AT THE 18,544-SEAT COLISEUM (ABOVE AND BELOW) IN RICHFIELD, OHIO – A VILLAGE 20 MILES SOUTH OF CLEVELAND. THE ARENA OPENED ON OCT. 26, 1974 AND WAS HOME TO THE CLEVELAND CRUSADERS OF THE WHA FOR TWO SEASONS. THE NBA CLEVELAND CAVALIERS PLAYED AT RICHFIELD COLISEUM FROM 1974-94. DRAWING SPARSE CROWDS (NO MORE THAN 4,500 MOST NIGHTS), THE BARONS LASTED TWO SEASONS BEFORE MERGING WITH THE MINNESOTA NORTH STARS FOR 1978-79. THE ARENA CLOSED SEP. 24, 1994 AND WAS DEMOLISHED MAY 21, 1999.

rich-1edited shea-4edited

AMONG THE MOST RENOWNED SPORTS FACILITIES IN THE UNITED STATES WAS SHEA STADIUM IN THE NEW YORK CITY BOROUGH OF QUEENS. IT OPENED ON APR. 17, 1964, JUST FIVE DAYS BEFORE THE 1964 NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR – ADJACENT TO THE FACILITY. SHEA STADIUM WAS HOME OF THE NEW YORK METS FROM 1964 TO 2008. THE METS WON THE WORLD SERIES AT SHEA IN 1969 AND 1986. IT WAS ALSO HOME TO JOE NAMATH AND THE AFL/NFL NEW YORK JETS FROM 1964 TO 1983. PERHAPS ITS MOST FAMOUS EVENT WAS A PERFORMANCE BY THE BEATLES ON AUG. 15, 1965. THE METS PLAYED THEIR FINAL GAME AT SHEA ON SEP. 28, 2008, LOSING 4-2 TO THE FLORIDA MARLINS. THE STADIUM WAS BROUGHT DOWN BETWEEN OCT. 14, 2008 AND FEB. 18, 2009. IT NOW PROVIDES PARKING FOR THE METS’ NEW HOME – CITI FIELD.

shea-3edited

CITI FIELD WAS BUILT NEXT TO SHEA STADIUM (RED SEATS).

SHEA-5edited

THE LAST REMNANT OF SHEA STADIUM STANDS NEXT TO CITI FIELD IN EARLY 2009.

clev-2edited

THE ORIGINAL “MISTAKE BY THE LAKE” – CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM – SEEN HERE TOWARD THE END OF ITS 64-YEAR REIGN ON THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ERIE. OPENED JULY 1, 1931, THE MASSIVE STADIUM HELD 74,438 FANS FOR BASEBALL AND 81,000 FOR FOOTBALL. IT WAS HOME TO THE CLEVELAND INDIANS FROM 1936 TO 1993 AND THE CLEVELAND BROWNS FROM 1946 TO 1995. FINAL EVENT HELD AT THE STADIUM WAS THE BROWNS 26-10 VICTORY OVER CINCINNATI BENGALS ON DEC. 17, 1995. MUNICIPAL STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED NOV. 4, 1996. THE BROWNS’ CURRENT HOME – FIRSTENERGY STADIUM – WAS BUILT ON THE SAME SITE.

clev-1edited

CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM DURING AN INDIANS GAME. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED A LARGE BASEBALL CROWD IN THE STADIUM’S FINAL YEARS.

RCAedited

THE CURRENT AND FORMER HOME OF THE NFL INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (ABOVE) – LUCAS OIL STADIUM AND THE OLD RCA DOME (ORIGINALLY THE HOOSIER DOME), WHERE PEYTON MANNING AND OTHERS PLAYED (BELOW) FROM 1984 TO 2007.

RCA-5edited

RCA-3edited

RCA DOME IS IMPLODED IN DOWNTOWN INDIANAPOLIS DEC. 20, 2008.

coboedited

COBO HALL ON THE DETROIT RIVER HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE 1960. IT WAS HOME TO THE NBA DETROIT PISTONS FROM 1961 TO 1978 AND – BRIEFLY – TO THE MICHIGAN STAGS OF THE WORLD HOCKEY ASSOCIATION IN 1974-75. THE STAGS WERE THE FORMER LOS ANGELES SHARKS. THEY PLAYED 43 GAMES (OCT. 29, 1974 TO JAN. 18, 1975) IN DETROIT BEFORE FOLDING AND RESURFACING AS THE BALTIMORE BLADES.

candle-1edited

CANDLESTICK PARK IN SAN FRANCISCO (ABOVE) – HOME OF THE BASEBALL GIANTS FROM 1960 TO 1999. THE STADIUM WAS ENCLOSED (BELOW) OVER THE WINTER OF 1970-71 FOR THE ARRIVAL OF THE NFL SAN FRANCISCO 49ers, WHO RE-LOCATED FROM NEARBY KEZAR STADIUM. CANDLESTICK PARK WILL CLOSE THIS SUMMER AND BE DEMOLISHED EARLY NEXT YEAR. THE 49ers WILL MOVE INTO THEIR NEW FACILITY – LEVI’S STADIUM – IN SANTA CLARA, CALIF. THIS SEASON.

candle-2edited OakCol-2edited

A 1968 POSTCARD (ABOVE) OF THE OAKLAND ALAMEDA-COUNTY COLISEUM SPORTS COMPLEX. THE STADIUM (LEFT) OPENED ON SEP. 18, 1966 WHEN THE AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE OAKLAND RAIDERS WERE THROTTLED 32-10 BY THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS BEFORE 50,746 FANS. THE COLISEUM-ARENA (RIGHT) OPENED NOV. 9, 1966 WITH A WESTERN HOCKEY LEAGUE GAME BETWEEN THE CALIFORNIA SEALS AND SAN DIEGO GULLS. THE SEALS WERE PART OF THE SIX-TEAM NHL EXPANSION THE FOLLOWING YEAR AND PLAYED THEIR FIRST GAME IN OAKLAND ON OCT. 11, 1967, DEFEATING THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS 5-1.

OakArena-3edited

THE OAKLAND COLISEUM SPORTS COMPLEX TODAY. THE RAIDERS MOVED TO LOS ANGELES AFTER THE 1981 NFL SEASON AND RETURNED IN 1995 UPON THE MASSIVE EAST STAND BEING BUILT FOR FOOTBALL. THE OAKLAND A’s HAVE PLAYED AT THE COLISEUM SINCE MOVING WEST FROM KANSAS CITY IN 1968. THE COLISEUM-ARENA, NOW KNOWN AS ORACLE ARENA, HAS BEEN HOME OF THE NBA GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS SINCE 1971-72, SAVE FOR THE 1996-97 SEASON WHEN THE BUILDING UNDERWENT AN INTERIOR RENOVATION. THE WARRIORS PLAYED AT SAN JOSE ARENA (HOME OF THE SHARKS) THAT YEAR. THE NHL CALIFORNIA GOLDEN SEALS STUCK AROUND THROUGH THE 1975-76 SEASON BEFORE MOVING TO RICHFIELD, OHIO.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

ORACLE ARENA IN OAKLAND AS IT APPEARS TODAY.

YOUELLedited

BEFORE MOVING INTO THE ALAMEDA-COUNTY COLISEUM, THE RAIDERS PLAYED FOUR SEASONS (1962-65) AT FRANK YOUELL FIELD IN DOWNTOWN OAKLAND.

cow-2edited

LOCATED IN DALY CITY, CALIF., NEAR SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, THE VENERABLE COW PALACE (ABOVE AND BELOW) HAS A HISTORY LIKE FEW OTHER ARENAS IN THE UNITED STATES. IT WAS SITE – ON AUG. 19, 1964 – OF THE BEATLES FIRST NORTH AMERICAN CONCERT AND WAS FIRST HOME OF THE NBA SAN FRANCISCO (NOW GOLDEN STATE) WARRIORS. IN THE 1968-69 NHL SEASON, THE OAKLAND SEALS PLAYED FIVE GAMES AT THE COW PALACE. IT IS BEST KNOWN, HOWEVER, AS HOME OF THE SAN JOSE SHARKS IN THEIR FIRST TWO SEASONS – 1991-92 AND 1992-93.

cow-3edited

LOS ANGELES FORUM RENOVATION

THE FORUM IN INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA OPENED DEC. 30, 1967 AND WAS HOME TO THE LOS ANGELES KINGS AND LAKERS UNTIL THE END OF THE 1998-99 SEASON. ONCE BOTH TEAMS LEFT FOR THE STAPLES CENTER, THE FORUM SAT MOSTLY IDLE – HOSTING THE ODD BOXING CARD AND CONCERT. WHEN THE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN COMPANY PURCHASED CONTROL OF THE ARENA IN JUNE 2012, IT CHOSE TO SPEND $50 MILLION ON A RENOVATION – CONVERTING IT INTO A SPECIALIZED CONCERT VENUE.

forum-4edited

THE FORUM DURING ITS EXTERIOR MAKE-OVER.

laforumedited

THE FORUM AS IT APPEARED UPON OPENING IN DECEMBER 1967.

forum-11edited

IN 1988, THE KINGS ACQUIRED WAYNE GRETZKY AND THE FORUM UNDERWENT A FACE-LIFT (ABOVE) WHEN GREAT WESTERN SAVINGS & LOAN PURCHASED NAMING RIGHTS. THE COPPER-RED EXTERIOR WAS PAINTED BLUE AND AN EXTENSION TO THE ROOF WAS ADDED. THE CURRENT RENOVATION (BELOW) BY MADISON SQUARE GARDEN RETURNED THE FORUM TO ITS ORIGINAL DESIGN. THE ROOF EXTENSION WAS DONE AWAY WITH AND THE EXTERIOR WAS RE-PAINTED COPPER-RED. 

forum-7edited forum-1edited

THE OLD AND SOMEWHAT PECULIAR SEATING DESIGN OF THE FORUM – GOLD SEATS ON ONE SIDE; ORANGE ON THE OTHER – IS SHOWN HERE BEFORE A LAKERS GAME.

forum-3edited

REFURBISHED SEATING DESIGN AT THE FORUM (ABOVE AND BELOW).

FORUM-14edited

forum-12edited coliseum-3edited

THE LOS ANGELES COLISEUM IS IN ITS 92nd YEAR AND HAS AN UNPARALLELED HISTORY, BEING THE ONLY STADIUM TO TWICE HOST THE OLYMPIC GAMES (1932 AND 1984). IT WAS SITE OF THE FIRST SUPER BOWL ON JAN. 15, 1967 BETWEEN THE GREEN BAY PACKERS AND KANSAS CITY CHIEFS. THE MIAMI DOLPHINS COMPLETED THEIR PERFECT 1972 SEASON BY DEFEATING THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS AT THE COLISEUM IN SUPER BOWL VII (JAN. 14, 1973). THE LOS ANGELES (NOW ST. LOUIS) RAMS PLAYED THERE FROM 1946-79. AND THE OAKLAND RAIDERS MOVED TO THE COLISEUM AS THE LOS ANGELES RAIDERS FROM 1982-94. THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS PLAYED THEIR FIRST SEASON (1960) AT THE COLISEUM AND THE LOS ANGELES DODGERS PLAYED FOUR SEASONS (1958-61) THERE WHILE DODGER STADIUM WAS BEING BUILT.

coliseum-2edited

LOCATED KITTY-CORNER TO THE COLISEUM IS THE LOS ANGELES SPORTS ARENA (WHITE ROOF ABOVE; INTERIOR BELOW). IT OPENED ON JULY 4, 1959 AND WAS HOME TO THE LOS ANGELES KINGS FOR 15 OF THEIR FIRST 17 GAMES IN 1967-68 WHILE THE FORUM IN INGLEWOOD WAS BEING BUILT. BOTH THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (NOV. 9, 1967) AND MONTREAL CANADIENS (NOV. 19, 1967) PLAYED THEIR FIRST ROAD GAMES AGAINST THE KINGS AT THE SPORTS ARENA. LOS ANGELES SHARKS CALLED THE ARENA HOME IN THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF THE WHA. AND IT WAS HOME COURT FOR THE NBA LAKERS FROM 1960-67 AND CLIPPERS FROM 1984-99.

LASportsArenaedited LONGBedited

THE ARENA IN LONG BEACH, CALIF. – 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES – WAS SITE OF THE KINGS FIRST TWO GAMES IN THE NHL. ON OCT. 14, 1967, THE KINGS BEAT PHILADELPHIA FLYERS 4-2 (OTTAWA 67’s COACHING LEGEND BRIAN KILREA SCORED THE FIRST GOAL IN FRANCHISE HISTORY). AND THE KINGS BEAT MINNESOTA NORTH STARS 5-3 THE FOLLOWING NIGHT – OCT, 15, 1967.

BALBOAedited

WHEN THE FOOTBALL CHARGERS MOVED SOUTH FROM LOS ANGELES TO SAN DIEGO, THEY PLAYED AT BALBOA STADIUM (ABOVE) FROM 1961-66 BEFORE MOVING INTO WHAT IS NOW QUALCOMM STADIUM (BELOW) FOR THE 1967 AFL SEASON. IT WAS KNOWN AS SAN DIEGO STADIUM WHEN IT OPENED ON AUG. 20, 1967 AND SAN DIEGO JACK MURPHY STADIUM FROM 1980-97. THE BASEBALL PADRES PLAYED AT QUALCOMM FROM THEIR 1969 INCEPTION TO THE END OF THE 2003 SEASON, WHEN THEY MOVED TO PETCO PARK. QUALCOMM STADIUM HOSTED SUPER BOWL XXII (WASHINGTON OVER DENVER, JAN. 31, 1988); SUPER BOWL XXXII (DENVER OVER GREEN BAY, JAN. 25, 1998) AND SUPER BOWL XXXVII (TAMPA BAY OVER OAKLAND, JAN. 26, 2003). IT ALSO HOSTED THE 1978 AND 1992 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAMES.

qual-2edited qual-1edited

QUALCOMM STADIUM AS IT LOOKED BEFORE A PADRES GAME.

king-1edited

THE KINGDOME IN SEATTLE WAS HOME TO THE BASEBALL MARINERS FROM THEIR 1977 INCEPTION UNTIL THE END OF THE 1999 SEASON; THE NFL SEAHAWKS FROM THEIR BEGINNING IN 1976 TO JAN. 9, 2000 AND THE NBA SEATTLE SUPERSONICS FROM 1978-85. THE KINGDOME OPENED MAR. 27, 1976. IT ALSO HOSTED THE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAME (JULY 17, 1979) AND THE NCAA BASKETBALL FINAL FOUR (1984, 1989, 1995).

king-3edited

THE KINGDOME CONFIGURATION FOR FOOTBALL (ABOVE) AND BASEBALL (BELOW).

king-4edited king-5edited

THE KINGDOME WAS IMPLODED ON MAR. 26, 2000. THE SEAHAWKS CURRENT STADIUM – CENTURY LINK FIELD – WAS BUILT ON THE SAME SITE.

HUSKYedited

WHILE CENTURY LINK FIELD WAS BEING BUILT, THE NFL SEAHAWKS PLAYED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON’S HUSKY STADIUM IN 2000 AND 2001.

Riverfront-2edited

RIVERFRONT STADIUM IN CINCINNATI (LATER KNOWN AS CINERGY FIELD) OPENED JUNE 30, 1970 AND WAS HOME OF THE BASEBALL REDS UNTIL 2002. THE NFL BENGALS PLAYED AT RIVERFRONT FROM 1970-99. IN THIS SUMMER-OF-1996 PHOTO, THE OUTFIELD ENCLOSURE IS BEING PREPARED FOR DEMOLITION. THE STADIUM WAS OPENED IN THAT SPOT (BELOW) TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE REDS’ CURRENT HOME – THE GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK.

CINERGYedited Riverfront-3edited

CINERGY FIELD WAS CAREFULLY IMPLODED ON DEC. 29, 2002.

ATLANTA FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM – SEEN HERE IN THE EARLY-1970’s – OPENED ON APRIL 9, 1965 AND BECAME HOME OF THE BASEBALL BRAVES WHEN THE FRANCHISE MOVED SOUTH FROM MILWAUKEE IN 1966. THE BRAVES PLAYED IN FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM UNTIL 1996. THE NFL ATLANTA FALCONS WERE BORN IN 1966 AND PLAYED AT THE STADIUM UNTIL 1991, AFTER WHICH THEY MOVED INTO THE GEORGIA DOME.

IN THIS 1996 PHOTO, ATLANTA’S OLYMPIC STADIUM (HOST OF THE SUMMER GAMES THAT YEAR) IS BEING DOWNSIZED AND CONVERTED INTO TURNER FIELD, NEW HOME OF THE BRAVES. FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM STILL STANDS NEXT TO IT. BASEBALL FANS IN THIS COUNTRY WILL LONG REMEMBER FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM AS SITE OF THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS FIRST WORLD SERIES TRIUMPH ON OCT. 25, 1992.

atl-postedited

FULTON-COUNTY STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED AUG. 2, 1997 AND CONVERTED INTO A PARKING LOT FOR TURNER FIELD. IN A VERY CREATIVE MOVE, THE LOCATION OF HOME PLATE WAS INSCRIBED IN THE PAVEMENT.

milehigh-1edited

DENVER MILE HIGH STADIUM WAS HOME TO THE NFL BRONCOS FROM 1960 TO 2000. IT OPENED AUG. 14, 1948 AND WAS EXPANDED FIVE TIMES TO A CAPACITY OF 76,273. THE BASEBALL COLORADO ROCKIES PLAYED AT MILE HIGH IN THEIR FIRST TWO SEASONS (1993-94). IN THEIR EXPANSION YEAR, ROCKIES ESTABLISHED THE EXISTING MAJOR LEAGUE ATTENDANCE RECORD OF 4,483,350 (56,751 AVERAGE PER GAME).

milehighdemo-1edited

MILE HIGH STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED ON AUG. 17, 2002.

mcn-1edited

ACROSS FROM MILE HIGH STADIUM WAS McNICHOLS SPORTS ARENA. IT OPENED AUG. 22, 1975 AND WAS HOME TO THE NBA DENVER NUGGETS UNTIL 1999. FOR THE 1976-77 NHL SEASON, THE KANSAS CITY SCOUTS MOVED TO DENVER AS THE COLORADO ROCKIES AND PLAYED AT McNICHOLS ARENA THROUGH THE 1981-82 CAMPAIGN BEFORE MOVING TO THE MEADOWLANDS AND BECOMING THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS. HOCKEY RETURNED TO THE ARENA IN THE 1995-96 SEASON WHEN THE QUEBEC NORDIQUES RELOCATED AND BECAME THE COLORADO AVALANCHE. THE AVS PLAYED AT McNICHOLS UNTIL THE PEPSI CENTER OPENED IN OCTOBER 1999. THE ARENA CLOSED SEP. 29, 1999 AND WAS DEMOLISHED JAN. 24, 2000.

threeriversedited

BUILT NEAR THE CONVERGENCE OF THE ALLEGHENY, MONONGAHELA AND OHIO RIVERS SOUTH OF DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH, THREE RIVERS STADIUM OPENED JULY 16, 1970 AND IMMEDIATELY BECAME HOME OF THE BASEBALL PIRATES (WHO MOVED OVER FROM FORBES FIELD AND HOSTED THE CINCINNATI REDS THAT DAY). THE FOOTBALL STEELERS ALSO MOVED THERE FROM PITT STADIUM IN 1970. BOTH CLUBS PLAYED AT THREE RIVERS UNTIL THE END OF THE 2000 SEASON. THE STADIUM WAS HOME TO THE GREAT STEELER TEAMS OF THE 1970’s THAT WON FOUR SUPER BOWL TITLES. IT HOSTED THE MAJOR LEAGUE ALL-STAR GAME IN 1974 AND 1994.

threerivers-2edited

IN THIS PHOTO FROM LATE-2000, THE STEELERS’ CURRENT HOME – HEINZ FIELD – IS BEING BUILT ACROSS FROM THREE RIVERS STADIUM. IT OPENED IN 2001.

threerivers-3edited

THREE RIVERS STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED ON FEB. 11, 2001.

rfk-3edited

ROBERT FRANCIS KENNEDY MEMORIAL STADIUM – BETTER KNOWN, SIMPLY, AS RFK STADIUM – WAS HOME OF THE NFL WASHINGTON REDSKINS FROM 1961 TO 1996. THE NATIONAL LEAGUE WASHINGTON SENATORS PLAYED THERE FROM 1962-71 BEFORE MOVING SOUTH AND BECOMING THE TEXAS RANGERS. AND THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS (FORMERLY THE MONTREAL EXPOS) CALLED RFK HOME IN THEIR FIRST THREE SEASONS (2005-07). IT WAS KNOWN AS DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (OR D.C.) STADIUM UNTIL 1968, AND THEN RE-NAMED IN JANUARY OF 1969 IN MEMORY OF THE FORMER U.S. SENATOR, WHO WAS ASSASSINATED IN LOS ANGELES ON JUNE 5, 1968.

rfk-2edited

RFK STADIUM SURING A WASHINGTON NATIONALS BALLGAME.

tampa-stadedited

TAMPA STADIUM, KNOWN EUPHEMISTICALLY AS THE “BIG SOMBRERO,” WAS HOME TO THE NFL TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS FROM THEIR 1976 INCEPTION UNTIL THE END OF THE 1997 SEASON. IT OPENED NOV. 4, 1967 AND CLOSED SEP. 13, 1998. THE BUCCANEERS’ CURRENT HOME – RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM – WAS BUILT ADJACENT TO THE “BIG SOMBRERO.” TAMPA STADIUM HOSTED SUPER BOWL XVIII (LOS ANGELES RAIDERS OVER WASHINGTON, JAN. 22, 1984) AND SUPER BOWL XXV (NEW YORK GIANTS OVER BUFFALO, JAN. 27, 1991). IT WAS DEMOLISHED APR. 11, 1999.

Astrodomeedited

THE WORLD’S FIRST COVERED STADIUM OPENED IN HOUSTON ON APR. 9, 1965. IT WAS HOME TO THE APTLY NAMED HOUSTON ASTROS FROM 1965-99 AND THE NFL HOUSTON OILERS FROM 1968-97. THE NAME WAS DERIVED FROM HOUSTON BEING HOME TO NASA’s MANNED SPACECRAFT CENTER, WHICH SERVED AS MISSION CONTROL DURING THE MERCURY, GEMINI AND APOLLO FLIGHTS OF THE 60’s AND EARLY-70’s.

astro-4edited

INSIDE THE ASTRODOME.

astro-1edited

RELIANT STADIUM (HOME OF THE NFL HOUSTON TEXANS) IS NEXT TO THE ASTRODOME.

TULANE-2edited

THE MASSIVE STADIUM ON THE GROUNDS OF TULANE UNIVERSITY WAS HOME TO THE NFL NEW ORLEANS SAINTS FROM THEIR 1967 EXPANSION YEAR TO THE END OF THE 1974 SEASON, AFTER WHICH THE CLUB MOVED INTO THE LOUISIANA SUPERDOME. TULANE STADIUM ALSO HOSTED SUPER BOWL IV (KANSAS CITY OVER MINNESOTA, JAN. 11, 1970); SUPER BOWL VI (DALLAS OVER MIAMI, JAN. 16, 1972) AND SUPER BOWL IX (PITTSBURGH OVER MINNESOTA, JAN. 12, 1975). IT CLOSED AUG. 3, 1975 AND WAS DEMOLISHED BETWEEN NOV. 18, 1979 AND JUNE 15, 1980.

cotton-1

THE COTTON BOWL IN DALLAS WAS HOME TO THE NFL COWBOYS FROM 1960-71.

TEXAS STADIUM, WITH ITS LEGENDARY HOLED ROOF, BECAME HOME TO THE DALLAS COWBOYS ON SEP. 19, 1971 – TWO DAYS AFTER IT OPENED. THE COWBOYS DEFEATED THE BUFFALO BILLS 49-37 BEFORE 46,206 FANS AND PLAYED THERE UNTIL THE END OF THE 2008 NFL SEASON. TEXAS STADIUM WAS DEMOLISHED APR. 11, 2000.

arl-5edited

THE TEXAS RANGERS MOVED SOUTH FROM WASHINGTON D.C. IN 1972 AND PLAYED AT ARLINGTON STADIUM UNTIL THE END OF THE 1993 MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON. INITIALLY A MINOR LEAGUE PARK CALLED TURBPIKE STADIUM, IT WAS EXPANDED A REMARKABLE SEVEN TIMES, TO A CAPACITY OF 43,521. THE FINAL GAME AT ARLINGTON STADIUM WAS PLAYED OCT. 3, 1993 WHEN THE RANGERS DEFEATED KANSAS CITY ROYALS 4-1 IN FRONT OF 41,039 FANS. IT WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1994, AFTER THE RANGERS MOVED ACROSS TO THEIR NEW STADIUM – THE BALLPARK OF ARLINGTON.

arl-6edited

SITE OF THE FORMER ARLINGTON STADIUM WITH THE RANGERS’ CURRENT HOME AT TOP-LEFT AND THE DALLAS COWBOYS’ HOME – A T&T STADIUM – TOP-RIGHT.

reunion-2edited

DALLAS REUNION ARENA OPENED APR. 28, 1980. IT WAS HOME TO THE NBA MAVERICKS FROM NOVEMBER 1980 TO THE END OF THE 2000-01 SEASON. WHEN THE MINNESOTA NORTH STARS MOVED TO DALLAS IN 1993-94, THE CLUB PLAYED AT REUNION ARENA BEFORE MOVING INTO THE AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER IN OCTOBER 2001. JASON ARNOTT OF THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS SCORED THE OVERTIME STANLEY CUP-WINNING GOAL AT REUNION ARENA ON JUNE 10, 2000. THE BUILDING CLOSED JUNE 30, 2008.

reunion-1edited

REUNION ARENA, LOCATED THREE BLOCKS FROM DEALEY PLAZA, SITE OF THE JOHN F. KENNEDY ASSASSINATION IN NOVEMBER 1963, WAS HOLLOWED OUT (ABOVE) BEFORE ITS DEMOLITION (BELOW) ON NOV. 17, 2009.

reunion-4edited stlarena-3edited

A 1940’s LOOK (ABOVE) AT THE ST. LOUIS ARENA AND ITS TWIN-SPIRES. AFTER A WHOLESALE RENOVATION (BELOW), THE EXPANSION ST. LOUIS BLUES MOVED INTO THE ARENA IN OCTOBER 1967 AND PLAYED THERE UNTIL THE END OF THE 1993-94 SEASON. THE ARENA CLOSED MAY 23, 1994 AND WAS DEMOLISHED ON FEB. 27, 1999.

KMOXedited Busch-1edited

BUSCH MEMORIAL STADIUM (ABOVE) JOINED THE 1960’s AND 70’s COOKIE-CUTTER CRAZE WHEN IT OPENED IN DOWNTOWN ST. LOUIS ON MAY 12, 1966 – THE BASEBALL CARDINALS DEFEATING ATLANTA BRAVES 4-3. THE CARDS PLAYED THERE UNTIL THE END OF THE 2005 SEASON. THE ST. LOUIS FOOTBALL CARDINALS PLAYED AT BUSCH FROM 1966-87, AFTER WHICH THE CLUB MOVED TO PHOENIX. AND THE FORMER LOS ANGELES RAMS PLAYED THE 1995 NFL SEASON AT BUSCH STADIUM AFTER RELOCATING IN ST. LOUIS. THE STADIUM HOSTED THE 1966 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAME, PLAYED ON SWELTERING A 105-DEGREE NIGHT. BUSCH CLOSED OCT. 22, 1995 AND WAS DEMOLISHED BETWEEN NOV. 7 AND DEC. 8 OF THAT YEAR (BELOW) AS THE NEW AND CURRENT BUSCH STADIUM ROSE NEXT TO IT.

busch_stadium-construct2edited

EMAIL: HOWARDLBERGER@GMAIL.COM

TWITTER: BERGER_BYTES

FACEBOOK: HOWARD BERGER [HUMBER COLLEGE]

LINKEDIN: HOWARD BERGER [BROADCAST MEDIA]

This site is protected by Comment SPAM Wiper.